Friday, June 25, 2010

I get to ride my bike


At the end of the day, I get to ride my bike- a lot. I guess that's the beautiful thing about endurance racing. If you love to ride a bike, by default, you're going to do a lot of it. And a 24 hour race, well, you get to ride all day long.

So, that is now and I didn't feel much different about it at the beginning. How did racing on dirt start for me? My first mountain bike was a Diamondback Apex, circa 1989 and I remember how fast it was. The power transfer to the wheels doesn't get any better than a fully rigid steel bike. Ya, by today's standards it's pretty heavy and the shifting was imprecise and the brakes didn't really work that well. But man was it fun. And finally, no more riding the road bike over rocky and rooty trails just to get out in the woods. After a couple years learning to ride the Diamondback, it was time to start racing it cross country and after the first race, which I luckily came 2nd as a beginner rider. I was hooked.

I continued to race for a few more years and enjoyed it as much as the first time. Life in my mid 20's then got in the way and I transitioned slowly to endurance running. It was a more convenient way to spend time on the same trails I used to ride my bike on. But it wasn't the same. I missed going fast on two wheels. Fast forward a few more years and here I am- Riding my bike-a lot.

The last few years have been an upward advance in the endurance racing world for me. Starting off with some top 5 finishes in a variety of 6, 8 and 12 hr races, last year I decided it was time for 24 hrs of racing my bike. I finished a couple, including the 2009 WSC in Canmore, Alberta where I finished 5th in my age group and 9th Canadian rider. After that race I realized more than ever, 24 hour racing is what I'm meant to do. As a result, and with a little help from my sponsors including Exposure Lights, I have three on the schedule for this year including the Canadian 24 Hour Championships in Canmore and of course, the 2010 WSC in Canberra, Australia. I'm really looking forward to heading down there with my wife (and pit boss) Lisa for a few weeks of travel, seeing Australia, and most importantly, getting to race my bike for another 24 hours. The really great thing is, I get to do it alongside a bunch of fellow passionate racers. I feel pretty honoured to be in their company. So far, Team Canada is looking to be a talented and experienced bunch. I hope I can hold up my end....

Scott Legere

1 comment:

  1. Scott, you're going to do great in Canberra. Remember to train for the heat, but that shouldn't be much trouble after a Kootenay summer. And remember to get on your road bike once in a while.

    ReplyDelete